Thursday, July 30, 2009

Submerging into the Russian Culture

During our first few days we got to meet Harry, a student from New York whom already stayed in St. Petersburg for 2 weeks and was due to leave two days after we arrived. He knew a great deal about the city and told us some insights and basic phrases which would prove useful for later on.
The last day me and Jeroen, my room mate, went out to for a 'few drinks' to mark his last day in the city and decided to go to a bar in the neighbourhood. We had a real enjoyable evening
and ended up meeting a russian couple in the bar! Me and Jeroen practiced the little russian that we knew which was greatly received as the guy kept ordering us vodka shots...and as time went by we ended up talking for around 2-3 hours about life of the average Russian! It was a priceless encounter and we managed to speak the language most of the time (ofcourse making use of a lot of gestures but still!!!).
Nevertheless I paid a dear price as I woke up the next day which was not really appreciated by Alexandra...(haha found this postcard the other day at a bookstore!)

Aaanyways...today we all went to Bolshoy Dramaticheskii Theater to see "the black swan" which resulted into a truly Russian experience! It was my first time to go and see a ballet but against the odds I actually enjoyed it a lot!

Me in the middle with Gerrit, my class mate and Jeroen my room mate!

Hans & Suzanne and a picture of inside the theater
(unfortunately no pictures could be made during the play!! Kak gal!!)

This saturday we're all scheduled for an excursion so I'll keep you posted...! Will quickly jump into bed now as I have class in the morning...Спокойной ночи!





No comments:

Post a Comment